Monday 8 September 2014

5 September 2014

"It's a simple enough question – where are you going?"
Mark continues, “It’s a simple enough question – where are you going?”   Gemma urges him to go to bed and forget he has seen her, but he insists he does not want her meeting people without telling him.   
Gemma really craves attention
She replies that she enjoys the attention;  “When I was with Dani and Sioned, no-one spoke to me – I was just the one who looked after the coats and handbags.   Now I get the attention, and the more they give me, the more I want!   I have to meet him again,” she says, and leaves.
Sioned wants to get Ed into bed — she will not be successful tonight!
Meanwhile, in the hotel, Sioned is impatient and says it is time to go up to bed, but Ed just wants another five minutes.   “We could be having fun in our room,” she says, “Get a bottle of champagne and we’ll take it upstairs.”   
On the hotel bar — what is the significance of "TESCO"?
As Ed goes to the bar, he notices the time is 00:25.
Gwen and Anwen have had a night out
Gemma hides in the alley as Gwen and Anwen hurry past, laughing, 
A shadowy figure heads towards the Deri
then she slips out cautiously, looking all around, and lets herself into the Deri.   
Out comes the petrol can . . .
Taking off her rucksack, she pulls a can of petrol from it, rather half-heartedly splashes some petrol over the bar, then produces an old-fashioned lighter.   
. . . then the lighter . . .
As the flame begins to burn, a familiar voice says, “Gemma?   What are you doing?”
At first, Mark tries to reason with her . . .
She tells Mark to go, but he insists, “Whoa!   Don’t be stupid, give me that lighter – there’s no need for this!”   Gemma is intent on carrying out her mission, but Mark tries to stop her;  “Why do this to Ed?   You’ve got too much to lose!”
Gemma tells him that she is a terrible person – she put Dani through hell and was even worse towards him.   
. . . then manages to grab the lighter
“Burning the place down won’t solve anything,” says Mark;  he lunges towards her and manages to snatch the lighter, flinging it across the pub.
Mark's urgent call upsets Sioned's plans
Sioned is still eager to get into bed when Ed’s phone rings;  it is Mark telling him to come back to the Deri immediately.   When Ed tells Sioned to stay at the hotel alone, she is having none of it, and will go with him.
"I don't know you at all when you're like this!"
Gemma tells Mark that Ed will never trust her again;  puzzled, Mark asks, “Why burn the place down?   Are you trying to harm yourself?   I don’t know you at all when you’re like this – one minute going to see Bryn, the next burning the place down.   Gemma then tells him she was not going to see Bryn;  Mark replies, “So you’re saying all this just to hurt me?   Is that what you’re trying to do?”
Sioned, tottering on her high heels
As they get out of the taxi, Ed admonishes Sioned to, “Show some understanding!” and Sioned totters into the pub, carrying her case.   As soon as she enters, she exclaims, “What’s that smell?   Were you going to set fire to the place?   Tell me what’s going on!”   
"What's going on?" demands Sioned
She takes no notice of Ed, who tells her to keep quiet;  “You can shout all you want, but I’m not going anywhere until I know what’s going on!”   Mark gets up to leave, not swayed by Gemma’s pleas, “Please don’t finish with me – I can change!”   
Mark appears to have had enough this time
“How many times have you promised that?” he asks, “I’m not changing my mind – you had the lighter in your hand – I had to say something!”
Gemma then blames Ed;  “You’ve destroyed my relationship with Mark, for money!   If you hadn’t asked me to burn the place, it wouldn’t have happened!”
"You used me as the alibi for your dirty little scheme!"
Sioned says it all makes sense now;  “The hotel, not going to bed – you used me as the alibi for your dirty little scheme!”   Ed makes the excuse that he only wanted enough insurance money to pay the VAT bill.   Then they engage in a heated shouting match about the £20,000 Sioned managed to lose, and finally Sioned stomps off upstairs and begins to pack a case.
"I'm not staying here!"
She tells Ed, “I’m not staying in a place about to go up in flames – goodness knows what she’ll do next!”   Ed insists that he did it for them;  getting rid of the Deri would give them both a new start;  they would have time for each other.   “You must understand why I did it!” he says, but Sioned just sees that he trusted Gemma but did not trust her.
"Taxi, from Y Deri at Cwmderi, as soon as possible"
Ed continues his protestations, but Sioned does not believe him;  she phones for a taxi, as soon as possible.
Mark's world has been shattered
Mark sits at home in the dark, fingering the lighter.   
He stares at the television screen
Throwing it down on the table, he switches on the television and turns up the volume, staring blankly at the screen.
Sioned will not listen to Ed, but gets into the taxi, telling the driver (in English), “Swansea station, please.”   
The taxi leaves Cwmderi
The taxi leaves, and Ed stares after it, then goes back into the Deri.
"I'll finish what I started!"
Gemma tells him, “I’m so sorry!   I’ll do it now – finish what I started!”  
Presumably this nice homely dessert is no longer available
Ed turns away from her and goes upstairs;  she picks up the petrol can and hurls it at the wall, then collapses in tears at a table.

No comments:

Post a Comment